Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Persecution.

By Carla Castro
Acts 5:12-32

In reading this selection from Acts 5, I see the disciples being persecuted for teaching the people about the Resurrection. They are jailed for their faith and sharing it.

It's a story told over and over and over in the Bible. 

I just wonder, what would I do if I didn't live in a country where I was free to practice the religion of my choice? What if I knew I would be faced with a horrific punishment due to speaking and freely practicing Christianity?

I mean, the disciples actually got it easy at first by simply being put into jail. But in some other Biblical experiences that we learn in Sunday School, it wasn't usually that simple. Daniel was thrown into a den with hungry lions. Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego were thrown into a fiery furnace.

Would I be strong enough to face the political leaders and say, "I don't care what you want to do to me; I will follow and speak of my faith." I wish I could say that there's no doubt in my mind that I would.

What would you do if the President came and told you that you would be faced with your biggest fears and the most torturous death unless you stopped being a Christian and didn't talk about the promise that Jesus can give if you just accept Him as your personal Savior?

Pastor Tim pointed out on FB a very important point to me: "You can't oppress people who don't fear death." Whoa. Almost knocked the wind out of me. And it causes me to question: Why would it matter what they threatened me with? I have an eternal promise that no matter how much power or political leadership they have, they cannot take it away. I can endure anything I am faced with here on earth because I will have a glorious eternity. Really puts things into perspective about persecution, eh?

No comments:

Anchor Google Map & Picture

Anchor Community Church's Fan Box