Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day Forty: Living with Purpose

What was helpful to you in the reading today?

It's taken more than forty days to work through this book! But the forty days I have spent reading through these chapters have been encouraging and convicting for me. How about for you?

This last chapter hits on some core issues that are very important to me:
Most people struggle with three basic issues in life. The first is identity: "Who am I?" The second is importance: "Do I matter?" The third is impact: "What is my place in life?"

These are questions I cycle through on a frequent basis. It's one of those insecurity things I need to solve. In the weeks I have spent working through this book, I have made progress in answering those three questions. I've been learning to accept myself, I've been seeing more clearly my value to others, and I've become more energized by the difference I have already made, and will continue to make in the world.

A common theme for me lately is "focus". I have to move beyond curiosity and good intention, I have to focus on what is central and vital and not get distracted by lesser opportunities. In gaining clarity about myself and God's purposes, I must do it.
"Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." Once you know what God wants you to do, the blessing comes in actually doing it. As we come to the end of our forty-day journey together, now that you know God's purposes for your life, you will be blessed if you do them! 

This probably means you will have to stop doing some other things. There are many "good" things you can do with your life, but God's purposes are the five essentials you must do. Unfortunately, it's easy to get distracted and forget what is most important. To prevent this, you should develop a purpose statement for your life and then review it regularly. 

Here are some ideas on what is a "Life Purpose Statement", why you should develop one, and how it would help you stay on course:

It's a statement that summarizes God's purposes for your life.

It's a statement that points the direction of your life.

It's a statement that defines "success" for you.

It's a statement that clarifies your roles.

It's a statement that expresses your shape.

I really, really, really liked these questions - very helpful to me "catching" what the five purposes are all about and how they play out in my life:

What will be the center of my life?
This is the question of worship. When you committed your life to Christ, he moved into the center, but you must keep him there through worship. How do you know when God's at the center of your life? When God's at the center of your worship. When he's not, you worry. Worry is the warning light that God has been shoved to the sideline.


What will be the character of my life? 
This is the question of discipleship. What kind of person will you be? God is far more interested in what you are than what you do. Make a list of the character qualities (like the Fruit of the Spirit) you want to work on and develop in your life.


What will be the contribution of my life? 
This is the question of service. What will be your ministry in the Body of Christ? Knowing your combination of spiritual gifts, heart, abilities, personality, and experiences, what would be your best role in the family of God? How can you make a difference?


What will be the communication of my life?
This is the question of your mission to unbelievers. Your mission statement... should include your commitment to share your testimony and the Good News with others. You should also list the life lessons and godly passions you feel God has given you to share with the world. As you grow in Christ, God may give you a special target of people to focus on reaching.

If you are a parent, part of your mission is to raise your children to know Christ, to help them understand his purposes for their lives, and to send them out on their mission in the world. Of course, our lives must support and validate the message we communicate.


What will be the community of my life?
This is the question of fellowship. How will you demonstrate your commitment to other believers and connection to the family of God? To which church family will you be joined as a functioning member? The more you mature, the more you will love the Body of Christ and want to sacrifice for it.


There are few books that I can recommend that are better than this one in providing a gracious, focused, well-thought-out, helpful outline of how to grow as a vibrant, God-centered, neighbor-loving Christian. I've read through this book several times since my Dad gave it to me a few days after the 2004 New Year's Day. I know that I will work through it again and again in the decades to come. And I will continue to highly recommend it.

Live on Purpose. Live for God. Live out Love. Everyday.

No comments:

Anchor Google Map & Picture

Anchor Community Church's Fan Box