Friday, February 19, 2010

Day Three: What Drives Your Life?

What hit home for you in the reading today?

There was much in this chapter that made me think. For example, I'm one of those people that is driven by the need for approval. It's a very annoying situation, and I'm trying to work on it, but it's still there. I'd like to think that the drive isn't as strong as it used to be, since I've been trying to seek God's approval more.

There was also much to think about with the five benefits of living a purpose-driven life. I definitely feel like my life has meaning, and I think my life is simplified, though I can sense the need for even more of it. I'm focused and motivated, yet there is something in me that keeps pushing for more focus and less dabbling, something that desires more passion and less weariness.

The last two questions of the chapter are pretty important. What did you do with Jesus?, and What did you do with my gifts? 

When I say that I believe in Jesus, I'm obviously confessing that I think he is real and exists; but I'm also say that I have confidence in him, I think he's brilliant, capable, reliable, and persistent.

When I reflect on what I'm doing with God's gifts to me, there are moments of paranoia that I'm not doing enough, but most of the time there is a relaxed intentionality - God is always at work, he's the one that bears responsibility for accomplishing his Will and Way on Earth, I just need to be willing to join in on what he started and sustains and will finish.
"God... is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of - infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes."

What about you? What convicted or inspired you in the reading today? 

1 comment:

Carla Sue said...

As I read this, I struggled to pinpoint what drives what I do. Oftentimes, I see a plethora of the reasons mentioned, as well as others, in why I do what I do.

The last two questions, though, did leave that handprint on my mind of "Am I doing what I should be doing?" and caused me to think, not only of myself, but others around me, and how amazing God is to have given us all such varied talents and purposes, all to join together and serve His will.

I have such a hard time, because like you mentioned, I like to dabble and try out new things, new hobbies, etc. and it's hard to focus on one thing. The thing I struggle with is the idea that dabbling is bad. The way I see it is God gave me the talents and the interests, why should I not explore, so long as I use it to glorify Him? Obviously, things like watching hours of television can't be linked much to doing God's will, but if I like to scrapbook, why not use it as a way to have fellowship with other Christians? Or if I like to read, why not start a book club with faith-based books? I mean, so much of what we do can be used for Him, we just need to stay centered on our Savior when we do what we do. Does that make sense?

Anchor Google Map & Picture

Anchor Community Church's Fan Box