Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day One: It All Starts with God

What hit home for you in the reading today?

I could feel myself resisting the truth of this statement:
You were made for God, not vice-versa, and life is about letting God use you for his purposes, not your using him for your own purpose. The Bible says, "Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life." 

It can be almost too easy for me to stay focused on what I wish God would do for me or my friends. While there is nothing wrong with dwelling on what I want God to do, if I dwell too long I will miss what God is actually already going for me and my friends.

When I pay too much attention to all the things I'm curious about, all the things I'm interested in, I tend to get very overwhelmed, and then do nothing, or at least I procrastinate. And it's very annoying when I do that. I'm feeling convicted to relax about all the things I want to do in life, and instead of getting anxious become aware of what opportunities God is presenting to me.

If the desires in me come from God, then he'll help me find ways to fulfill them - His way, His time. But the fulfilling of those desires is not about me and my happiness, but about letting God bring out the best in me for what he wants to accomplish in our world. If I insist on always being happy and fulfilled, I'll make a lot of people miserable. If I relax and focus on what God is doing in and through me, the smiles will last longer and mean so much more.

What about you? What convicted or inspired you in the reading today?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

'Without God life makes no sense'
stood out for me. I can analysis it all day and nothing is further from the truth. But putting that into play when life is hectic is the hard part..
I am excited for this journey and where it will take me.

Anchor Google Map & Picture

Anchor Community Church's Fan Box