Sunday, October 10, 2010

Other Plans

Acts 18
By Joe Leatherman

But when the Jews opposed Paul and became abusive, he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am clear of my responsibility. From now on I will go to the Gentiles." Acts 18:6 (New International Version)
Such an interesting turn of events in Paul's life. Paul was born a Jew, trained by Gamaliel. He knew the language, he knew the culture, he knew the life style. Why did God send him to teach the Gentiles? He was perfect for the job he had, an understatement really, and yet God had other plans for him. 
The first thing that comes to my mind is Paul's faith. Becoming a christian isn't by any means a median for making your life easier or less worrisome. If that was the case we wouldn't have to make an effort to trust God. Paul, I'm sure, was quite comfortable preaching to a group which he was familiar with. Something he knew he was qualified for, something he was sure of success. 

In this situation Paul's faith isn't tested, but after he decides to go to the Gentiles God comes to him in a dream:
One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city." Acts 18:9-10 (New International Version)
This is something I in many ways struggle with. How do I perform what God wants me to do when I'm out of my comfort zone? This is inevitable. God has a funny and clever way of putting us in situations that we do not expect and are not prepared for. Despite the unexpected Paul was able to have faith enough and put worry aside to go and teach to the Gentiles, just as he stated, he was clear of his responsibility. 

Through day to day life I try and remember this passage, remember what Paul so humbly did without question. I try and remember this so I'm prepared for the unexpected and prepared to be uncomfortable. I want people to benefit around me from God's word, I can't always do this in a comfortable position.

No comments:

Anchor Google Map & Picture

Anchor Community Church's Fan Box